Khamis, 29 September 2011

NST Online: StreetsJohor


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

NST Online: StreetsJohor


MAKING NEWS

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 09:16 AM PDT

2011/09/29
By Chuah Bee Kim


Socially engaged locals get together at the Citizen Journalists Malaysia's gala night

THE number of Malaysians who are embracing citizen journalism is growing, according to the International Centre for Journalists (ICFJ) media development consultant Ross Settles.

Settles, 52, who was in Johor Baru recently to attend the Citizen Journalists Malaysia (CJMY) gala night held in conjunction with the 2nd annual conference, described Malaysians as a "socially engaged" community.


"I do not have the statistics but CJMY is fairly new and the number of stories contributed by Malaysians as well as the number of members in the country is growing at an encouraging rate," Settles said.

"Printed media will always be there but the cost of running a newspaper is high. ICFJ wants to train citizen journalists (CJs) to bring news to the people via mobile phones and video," he added.

ICFJ is a non-profit, professional organisation that is based in Washington, United States. Since 1984, it has worked with more than 55,000 journalists from 176 countries.


ICFJ, founded by three American journalists, namely, Tom Winship, Jim Ewing and George Krimsky, offers hands-on training, workshops, seminars, fellowships and international exchanges to reporters and media managers around the globe.

In Malaysia, it is working with a non-governmental online news portal to churn out citizen journalists, all of whom are volunteers.

The role of a citizen journalist is to report on issues that will help to alleviate the problems faced by a community.


That was one of the reasons that prompted Maeram Uek Mewa, 23, and her husband Gayut Lim, 34, both farmers in Ulu Baram, Sarawak, to become citizen journalists.

"We like to highlight environmental issues as well as stories about what we know best, which is farming. We cannot write like professional writers but when we have a story to share with others, we just tell it like it is.

"Sometimes, the plight of farmers are not highlighted by the mainstream media, especially common problems encountered by the local folk.

"That is how a citizen journalist can make a difference in someone's life," said Gayut.

CJMY Johor Baru chapter event organising chairman Steven Chen said the Johor Baru chapter was launched last October and there are about 20 members.

"My first video concerned several blocks of abandoned apartment buildings in Permas Jaya, Johor Baru. The buildings were left in a dilapidated state for more than 10 years. The buyers were at a loss as to what to do.

"I decided to focus on the story and when it came out in the news portal, I actually received a call from a relevant party who agreed to help the buyers.

"The sense of empowerment I felt at that moment motivated me to continue being a volunteer journalist," Chen said.

He also related another story where he had highlighted the plight of a nurse who had to support her children and husband who became bedridden after a road accident.

"The story of the nurse touched me deeply. She had to go to work, take care of her children and also attend to her husband's medical needs.

"And the husband actually had money in the bank. It's just that he was unable to go to the bank and the bank refused to let the wife withdraw the money.

"So, I highlighted her plight and after the video came out, someone from the bank got in touch with her and that eased her financial burden," he said.

K.S. Tan, from the CJMY Kuala Lumpur chapter, said he enjoyed the travelling and the thrill of creating videos that would make an impact on people.

"I have produced over 100 videos since I joined CJMY and I cannot stop anymore. I have travelled to Jakarta, Indonesia, and to Orang Asli settlements in various parts of Malaysia to get my stories. I am not getting paid for my effort. I am pretty much driven by my passion," said Tan, a 62-year-old retiree who used to work for an international company.

Johor Baru Tionghua Federation manager Eric Ku, 40, said he became a citizen journalist because he wanted to play a bigger role in spreading an awareness of the Chinese culture to others via the Internet.

"In spite of my busy schedule, I try to produce three to four stories per month."

Also spotted at the gala night dinner, which was attended by some 150 people comprising citizen journalists from the northern, central, southern and East Malaysian regions were trainers Wanida Sanjit, 26, from Chiang Mai, Thailand; and W.L. Phyo, 30, from Myanmar; both journalists by profession.

Themed "Citizen Journalists Empowering Communities", the gala night also saw singing, dance and skit performances presented by members.

Reflections of a contemporary artist

Posted: 29 Sep 2011 09:08 AM PDT


IT seemed like a perfect day for just lazing around, after the Hari Raya holidays.

I had my hands full during the fasting month with hamper delivery orders received via my portal and on my Facebook page.

Suddenly, a fellow artist called to inform me about the 1Malaysia Contemporary Art Exhibition which is being held in Danga City Mall.


The curator of the exhibition, Fakhrul Zaman Mohd Sambas, asked me to submit some of my works to be exhibited alongside some 15 esteemed artists from Johor.

I was in ecstasy, and agreed without even giving it a second thought.

About a year ago, I had submitted two of my works for an art competition organised by Johor Art Gallery, though I did not win.


Johor has always been one of the states where I have always wanted to exhibit my work, as it is known for producing many renowned artists.

Begin relatively new in the art industry, I had always dreamed of having my creation exhibited among them one fine day.

Though I did not get the chance then during the art competition in Johor Baru, having the opportunity now means the world to me.


I started painting several years ago and recently gained enough courage to have my work exhibited.

After my first win in an art competition organised by the the Shah Alam Art Gallery in 2009, I went ahead and joined several more competitions. I had my works exhibited at Penang State Art Gallery, Art Cabin- National Art Gallery and Art Under 500-Pahang Art Museum.

Johor artists have set up a group called Artgeng, which was established by a teacher Norazalan Ahmad and his mentor, Abdul Majid Yahya.

I participated in Artgeng's art demonstration held at U Mall in Taman University, Skudai, Johor Baru early this year and had a blast.

Since then, I have been in constant contact with Artgeng members on facebook that includes several renowned artists nationwide, including Yusof Gajah and Hasren Ismail.

The group comprises renowned artists, amateurs, newbies, students and also several international artists, who will share tips, information and also on art-related events.

Having my work exhibited in such an esteemed event as 1Malaysia Contemporary Art Exhibition and being able to be here in Johor Baru is such an honour.

Among my works on exhibit are Hoax, Epiphany and my Essences series 1 and 2.

I use mixed media on my works and I selected these four because each one tells a story which can be related to Johor.

Hoax can be translated to something that is deliberately fabricated to be masqueraded as the truth.

If one reads news reports about Johor, especially from its neighbouring country, one cannot be blamed for having a perception that it is crime-infested.

But when you are in Johor, you will realise that the reports are false. Johor is beautiful and safe like the other states in our country, and rich in culture.

While Epiphany is the sudden realisation of the larger essence or meaning of something, each visit to Johor gives me exactly that -- a feeling that I found the last piece of the puzzle and I am able to see the whole picture.

The 1Malaysia Contemporary Art Exhibition is open to the public from 10am to 10pm daily until Oct 15. Admission is free.

State Tourism, Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs committee chairman Hoo Seong Chang officiated the Johor-leg of the 1Malaysia Contemporary Art Tourism Festival (1MCAT).

Since July, a number of exhibitions with the theme "Malaysia Art -- A Vibrant Destination" have been held in various states including Kuala Lumpur, Malacca, Penang, Langkawi; Kedah and Kota Kinabalu in Sabah. It was launched by Tourism Minister, Datuk Seri Dr Ng Yen Yen.

In line with the Tourism Ministry's recognition of the growing importance of art in tourism, these exhibitions are being organised for the development and promotion of Malaysian art.

The 1MCAT Festival aims to position Malaysia as a reputable destination for art enthusiasts to enjoy and acquire contemporary art. It is also a platform for artists and gallery owners, as well as a younger generation of artists and collectors, to share ideas and exchange information about contemporary art in Malaysia.

The Johor-leg was co-organised by Tourism Malaysia Johor , Galeri Seni Johor-Yayasan Warisan Johor and Persatuan Seni Lukis & Reka Cipta Johor (SERUPA).

All the exhibits, including sculptures, represent contemporary art, and are for sale.

Interviewed by Jassmine Shadiqe, Fai Zakaria is a self-employed interior designer. She runs a portal, www.faizakaria.com.my, where she sells her paintings, provides her interior designing services and also designs and delivers personalised gifts for special occasions and celebrations.

Kredit: www.nst.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

NST Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved