Rabu, 26 Oktober 2011

NST Online: Sports


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

NST Online: Sports


Golf: Vijay looking for some Malaysian magic

Posted: 26 Oct 2011 05:23 PM PDT


Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak shares a light moment with Vijay Singh (left) and CIMB chief executive officer Datuk Seri Nazir Razak at the Mines Resort and Golf Club yesterday.

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak shares a light moment with Vijay Singh (left) and CIMB chief executive officer Datuk Seri Nazir Razak at the Mines Resort and Golf Club yesterday.

IT has been a decade since Vijay Singh last played in Malaysia but his love for the country has changed little as he prepares to make his debut at the CIMB Asia Pacific Classic today.

The Fijian has a Malaysian wife and began his career in Malaysia, plying his trade in Sabah and Sarawak in the mid-1980s and winning the 1984 Malaysian PGA Championship.

Malaysia was the launchpad of many great victories in the following years but playing opportunities here have been limited due to his busy US PGA Tour schedule and a succession of knee and back injuries over the past two years.


The three-time major winner's last appearance here was in 2001, when he won his second Malaysian Open title at Saujana in Subang. He was due to play at the 2008 Iskandar Johor Open only to pull out after suffering an injury.

Now that his injury woes are behind him, Vijay is hoping some of the Malaysian magic which worked wonders for him in the past will help him get back on his feet.

"It's been a while since I've been back here to play. I've had good times here and my wife is from here. Malaysia has been a special place in my life and I've got family here.


"I'm comfortable with the food, understand a bit of the language and it always gives me a lot of enthusiasm to play here. I just feel comfortable here, except for the weather which is a bit hot, but you get used to that," said Vijay, 48, after his practice round at the Mines Resort yesterday.

Currently 58th on the Official World Golf Ranking, Vijay has not won a tournament since the 2008 Deutsche Bank Championship.

"I'm looking forward to playing here. I've got a good feeling about it, so we'll see what happens."

Full content generated by Get Full RSS.

Golf: Shaaban gunning for top-20 finish

Posted: 26 Oct 2011 05:17 PM PDT


Asian Tour No 1 Shiv Shankar Prasad Chowrasia and Jeev Milkha Singh (inset) are looking for a change in luck at the CIMB Asia Pacific Classic which starts today.

Asian Tour No 1 Shiv Shankar Prasad Chowrasia and Jeev Milkha Singh (inset) are looking for a change in luck at the CIMB Asia Pacific Classic which starts today.

SHAABAN Hussin propped up the field last year at the CIMB Asia Pacific Classic but has vowed to avoid coming in last again when this year's tournament tees off today.

Despite his troubles last year at the Mines Resort and Golf Club, Shaaban still walked away with a cool US$50,000 (RM156,000).

This time though the 23-year-old, who earned his spot after winning the national qualifier at the Mines Resort last month, has set an ambitious target of finishing in the top-20 in a field which boasts five major championship winners and some of Asia's best golfers.


"I'm very happy to be playing in my second year. I've been preparing very well for this week. I target a top-10 or top-20 this week.

"I just need to carry that form into this week. But the course set up then is different compared to the current set up. I don't think this is a very difficult course and will need to take advantage of that," said Shaaban, who got used to the course after playing in yesterday's Pro-Am.

Unlike last year, Shaaban is not the only Malaysian in the field with Danny Chia, the leading Malaysian on the Asian Tour Order of Merit at 48th, providing him company.


"There's definitely less pressure with Danny in the field. At least the spotlight is not constantly on me. I even have a partner to train with," said Shaaban, who has missed four cuts with one retirement in nine Asian Tour events this year.

"I don't want to be last again. Like I said a top-20 will be a reasonable result. I'm quite confident I can play well this week.

"I've spent a lot of time practising on my putting because it will come down to putting.


"I've been playing quite well this year on the Asian Tour and I think the experience of playing in this event last year helped with my performance.

"I'll try my best to play lower than 10-under this week. I think the winning score will be about 18-under."

Full content generated by Get Full RSS.
Kredit: www.nst.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

NST Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved