Rabu, 5 Oktober 2011

NST Online: StreetsJohor


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

NST Online: StreetsJohor


HEART OF GOLD

Posted: 04 Oct 2011 10:47 AM PDT

2011/10/04
By Sim Bak Heng


When it comes to welfare work, no challenge is too great for V. Rajamanikam

V. RAJAMANIKAM, 66, has a heart of gold. When it comes to welfare work, nothing is ever enough for him.

He established the Handicapped and Mentally Disabled Children Association Johor Baru in Saleng, Kulai, in May 1990.


Over the past two decades, the centre has grown with extensions and new buildings. To date, it has about 300 children of all races under his care.

Nestled in Taman Saleng Indah, the home has beautiful surroundings and is fully-equipped to cater to the needs of its residents, who comprise the physically, visually and audibly impaired, the mentally disabled, the mute, and those with Down's Syndrome, autism and cerebral palsy, among others.

The home had seven disabled children when it first opened its doors.


Through word of mouth, parents from the lower income bracket near and far began to send their physically and mentally disabled children to the centre for care.

As some of the children are from neighbouring states, Rajamanikam felt the need to make the life of the children and their parents easier.

With the help of the Lion Parkson Foundation which donated land and erected buildings, he set up branches in Malacca, Kuantan, Kuala Terengganu and Kuala Lumpur.


Rajamanikam plans to further his work to the northern states.

"I leave it to God. As long as it is within my ability, I will continue to serve less fortunate children," he said.

What is the driving force behind his work?

Visit Rajamanikam's office and you will see the portrait of Mother Theresa. There is a huge picture of him with Mother Theresa taken in Calcutta in 1995.

He said Mother Theresa set a good example for the world when it comes to philanthropy.

"I emulated her in many ways. I visited her to get her blessing for my welfare ministry.

"After visiting her, my ministry has grown by leaps and bounds, as if she was guiding me," he said.

Rajamanikam has received many awards for his selfless service to disabled children.

In 1997, he was one of the recipients of the Heart of Gold Award, a joint charity project of the New Straits Times Press (M) Sdn Bhd and Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza (now Mutiara Johor Baru).

He was conferred as a lifetime humanitarian at the 4th NSTP-PwC Malaysian Humanitarian Award in 2008.

Rajamanikam admitted that some parents are treating his charity homes as a dumping ground.

"Some visit their children once a week, while others never come back the moment they leave our gate. Most of the children do not know who their parents are.

"Even if the parents return, they probably would not be able to recognise their children anymore.

"I would like to appeal to these parents to treat their children with dignity and compassion.

"After all, they are their children, even if they have to face the challenge of caring for them," he said.

Like many welfare homes, the Saleng home relies heavily on public donations to keep the home afloat.

The home has a monthly expenditure of over RM90,000.

Although there are donations every month, it is still a challenge for the home to find enough money to make ends meet.

If you want to assist Rajamanikam in his ministry, call him at 019-730 4779 or 07-598 9676.

You can also email him at ppkktaj@handicapjb.org.my.

For details, log on to the home's website at www.handicapjb.org.my.

Never fear to go where life takes you

Posted: 04 Oct 2011 07:37 AM PDT


I COME from a family that is very open-minded. Sometimes people don't believe that I am an Orang Asli. But I am from the Temuan tribe and very proud of the fact.

When I was growing up in Kampung Orang Asli Gunung Ledang in Muar, my friends in school found it strange when I spoke in the Temuan language. And when I was at home, my neighbourhood friends found it odd that I could speak Mandarin.

This is because I studied at SJK (C) Chung Hwa in Asahan, located between Muar and Malacca.


As there were quite a number of us from my kampung, we spoke in our native language whenever we talked. This would invite stares from those who had never heard of the "strange language".

Since leaving primary school, I have rarely had the chance to converse in Mandarin. Although I can still speak the language, I am not very fluent at it nowadays.

My father is a school bus driver while my mum teaches at a kindergarten in our kampung. Orang Asli children are known to dislike going to school. I think they are influenced by their parents.


There should be a change of mindset. I hope to get this message across to some of my childhood friends, who are reluctant to leave the village. Only a few of my friends have left the settlement.

I didn't feel nervous at all when I left my family for a three-month stint at SAF Academy in Johor Baru.

After completing secondary school, I worked as a sales promoter in a shopping centre where I had the chance to meet different types of customers -- some were pleasant, some not so endearing.


It was while working as a sales promoter that I came across a banner about the joint hospitality course offered at SAF Academy. It was a programme organised by the academy and the Orang Asli Development Department.

I thought to myself: "Why not?"

The participants would each receive RM5,000; this excludes a RM500 advance upon completion of training, when the participant would be placed at hotels for on-the-job training for another three months, with salary. At the end of the six-month programme, I would get the Malaysian Skills Certificate (SKM) 1.

The certificate certainly opened more doors for me.

It was an opportunity that was too good to pass up, so that was how I landed my job at Naza Hotel in Johor Baru.

I am now working at the hotel's food and beverage department.

I have an older brother who is a soldier. He is currently based in Pahang. My three younger siblings are still in school. I hope to be a source of inspiration to them and all my friends in my kampung who do not dare to venture out for a taste of life in the city.

I will continue to challenge myself to ensure a better life for me and my family.

This is the mindset that Orang Asli youths should adopt if they don't want to become a "community left behind by development".

But whatever happens, I will never forget my roots. Life in Kampung Orang Asli Gunung Ledang remains dear to me as the rustic simplicity is comforting. My favourite pastime was a game of badminton.

My salary at the hotel is not exactly lucrative but I have plans to buy a car when I have saved up enough. This is the dream of many Orang Asli youths, actually, but some they just do not want to work for it.

My goal is also to broaden my life experience and I am looking forward to what comes next.

Herza Harun, 22, recently completed three months' training on a joint pioneer programme between SAF Academy in Johor Baru recently after joining a pioneer joint programme between Orang Asli Development Department and SAF. She will receive the SKM 1 upon completion of her employment at Naza Hotel

Interview by Chuah Bee Kim

Kredit: www.nst.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

NST Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved