Selasa, 1 November 2011

NST Online: StreetsJohor


Klik GAMBAR Dibawah Untuk Lebih Info
Sumber Asal Berita :-

NST Online: StreetsJohor


SINSEH ON WHEELS

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 10:20 AM PDT

2011/10/31
By Sim Bak Heng


Every fortnight, a group of Chinese physicians and volunteers treat the sick at a mobile clinic

FROM the outside, it looks like an ambulance. But this vehicle carries out a bigger and much nobler mission.

Named Bangkit Mobile Clinic, it operates from one place to another, without a permanent base.


It will tend to the needs of patients once a fortnight.

The body behind this social service is Yayasan Bakti Nusa Malaysia, a non-governmental organisation of which former MCA president Datuk Seri Ong Tee Keat is executive adviser.

The interior of the mobile clinic is specially modified and fitted to provide a bed and other basic medical facilities.


Backed by a team of professionally-trained Chinese physicians, the clinic is aimed at providing free consultation, treatment and medicines for the poor and needy, irrespective of race and religion, as well as promoting awareness of healthcare.

So far, the foundation has a mobile clinic each in Penang, Selangor, Malacca, Negri Sembilan and Johor. Usually, the mobile clinics cooperate with another party to provide its services.

The mobile clinic started operations in Johor, in May, led by James Wu. He is assisted by eight Chinese physicians, headed by Y.S. Song, and 20 volunteers.


Wu said the mobile clinic promotes a healthy lifestyle, and shares with the public how to live a cancer-free life.

"We are working with a team of dedicated and compassionate Chinese physicians who are willing to contribute their time, energy and money for a worthy cause," he said.

"More importantly, we run the clinic based on a common understanding with the local community, which is to promote Chinese healthcare services to benefit the poor and needy in the community who are seeking an alternative way of treatment," he said.

To date, it has provided nine sessions of treatment in different parts of the state.

The Chinese physicians give up their Sundays twice a month to provide their social services from 2pm to 6pm, when the mobile clinic is in operations. However, it is usually after 8pm when the session ends.

Volunteers from different walks of life provide registration, coordination and prescription services.

All consultations are done at the halls of the respective premises.

For those who need acupuncture, cupping or tuina service, it is done inside the mobile clinic.

To provide them the best service, each patient has to go through two levels of consultation.

An attending Chinese physician will diagnose the patient's problem, then Song will personally screen, diagnose and prescribe treatment.

As this is an NGO, all funding is from private donors, mostly businessmen.

The cost of medicines alone in each outing of providing medical service to about 70 patients runs up to about RM3,500.

Wu said he is looking forward to seeing more good Samaritans provide financial assistance to keep the mobile clinic afloat.

"As we believe in using the best medicines for our service, the prescription cost for each patient easily comes to about RM50," he said.

"This is despite our having secured the best pricing for our medicines from suppliers, who know we are running a charity," he added.

For details, call Jackson Tiew at 016-744 3300 or Chan Tong Sink at 012-708 8894, or find Rakan Bangkit MobileClinic on Facebook.

Full content generated by Get Full RSS.

From fireman to masseur

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 09:00 AM PDT


THE Johor Baru city landscape has changed since I moved to Kampung Pasir from Muar in 1954.

It was once the only major town and became a city and is poised to soon become a metropolis as part of the Iskandar Malaysia economic growth region.

I tasted the best of the past, when the lifestyle was much simpler and the cost of living cheaper.


During the late 1950s, the average rent for a house in Kampung Pasir was between RM7 and RM18.

This is a far cry from the current rent rates but not all homes had electricity then, and we relied mainly on kerosene lamps.

Piped water was practically unheard of and villagers fetched water from the wells.


However, things began to change when I enlisted in the Malayan Armed Forces as a fireman in 1957 and was then attached to a barracks.

I was posted to the Alexander Army Camp in Singapore before being sent to the Tebrau Army Camp, followed by my last posting in 1969 at the Paroi Army Camp in Negri Sembilan.

I left service and returned in 1970 to Johor Baru, where I did several odd-jobs working in factories and canteens for four years. I joined the fire department in 1974.


I was lucky to get the fireman's job, as I was already 34 years old. However, I also had more than a decade's worth of experience as a military fireman.

In my 20 years of serving the Johor Fire Department, which was based in Larkin, I saw many changes taking place.

Most notable was the growth of Johor Baru. Towards the late 1980s, development became rapid, with many residential areas opening-up. More development took place in the 1990s, with the opening of commercial complexes.

As I was nearing retirement, I realised that I needed something to do. A former colleague introduced me to the art of traditional massage and I was interested to take it up at that time. This was about six years before I was due to retire in 1994.

My decision to become a traditional masseur became my retirement plan.

By the time of my retirement, I had already established myself as a traditional masseur in my home in Kampung Pasir, Tampoi.

We had all the conveniences of modern living under one roof, which was different from the old days. As the cost of living was always escalating, I needed to do something to supplement my pension.

Over the years, I have helped many people who have come to me mainly through word-of-mouth.

My job as a traditional masseur took off rather well after my retirement, and the response has always been good.

My 41-year-old daughter Samiah Ishak quit her job and also became a traditional masseuse, for my female clientele.

People from as far as Penang, Pahang and Malacca come to me to treat various ailments, from simple backaches to torn ligaments and sprained ankles.

I receive repeat customers from 10am to 10pm every day.

The only problem I see now is that the younger generation, including my sons and grandchildren, have no interest in learning the art of traditional massage.

People like me are considered a dying breed.

Ishak Ahmad, 72, popularly known as Pak Sahak Bomba, is a retired fireman, who spends his time with his grandchildren when he is not offering traditional massage services in his home.

Interviewed by Ben Tan

Full content generated by Get Full RSS.
Kredit: www.nst.com.my

0 ulasan:

Catat Ulasan

 

NST Online

Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved