Conrad Murray, Michael Jackson's doctor who was found guilty of involuntary manslaughter, has been released from prison.

He was convicted of unintentionally killing Jackson and after two years in prison, walked out Monday, slipping out of a back door and bypassing the reporters and fans waiting for him outside the Men's Central Jail in downtown Los Angeles.

Murray's lawyer Valerie Wass said outside the prison: "Believe me, after you've been locked up in this place for two years, it's a shock emotionally and physically."

And while still behind bars, Murray called the Today show and said the following: "First of all, when I get out of jail, I want to be able to embrace my children. I want to be able to reunite with my family and close friends and all of the angels who have given me support. ... I will re-start my life and, God willing, I will be a model to show the world that when ... bad things happen to good people they can re-start their life."

Murray was convicted in 2011 of causing Jackson's death in June 2009 by providing the superstar with an overdose of the powerful anesthetic propofol as a sleep aid. Jackson was in the midst of preparations for a series of comeback concerts and Murray was serving as his personal physician.

Murray's prospects are uncertain: At age 60 his license to practice medicine has been suspended or revoked in three states and his face and name are well known due to his association with Jackson and his highly publicized involuntary manslaughter trial.

The former doctor is appealing his conviction, although an appeals court has questioned whether it needs to hear the case. His attorney Valerie Wass has argued that the court should not dismiss the appeal because it could alter his overall sentence and reduce some of the stigma his conviction has caused.

Contributing: The Associated Press